Oil spills at KMG are mainly caused by pipe leaks under the influence of corrosion processes. The Company continues to reduce the number of failures and pipe leaks by timely and proper execution of measures to detect, reconstruct, replace, inhibit, and clean pipelines that increased their integrity and reliability.
In close cooperation with law enforcement agencies, «KazTransOil» has reversed the situation with criminal and illegal taps into the Company's pipelines. Over the past 2.5 years, the Company managed to reduce the number of unauthorized taps into main pipelines to zero (in 2019, 2 unauthorized taps were detected, and the damage was 3.7 mln tenge; in 2020 and 2021, no cases of criminal taps were found).
These indicators have been mainly achieved through the following actions:
• enhanced control over the mobile groups via GPS systems and timely inspection of pipelines by such mobile groups;
• protection of oil pipelines via the Optosense monitoring system.
Continual preparedness for oil spill response (OSR) is our absolute priority.
Continuous preparedness for emergency oil spill response (OSR) is an absolute priority. There are high requirements for environmental safety in offshore oil operations: before starting any work, we conduct background environmental studies and evaluate our potential social and environmental impacts, as well as monitor impacts, emissions, and emergencies - during and after operations. In the end, we carry out continuous environmental monitoring of abandoned wells which includes monitoring of air quality, pollution of seawater and bottom sediments, biodiversity, as well as laboratory and analytical work and photo and video recording of the mouths of abandoned wells.
- Strict adherence to design decisions
- The Zero Discharge principle - all waste and wastewater is transported ashore;
- Provision of all swimming facilities with fish protection devices and no polluted water;
- Ban on production operations during the spawning period - from April 1 to July 15;
- Ban on fishing at production vessels;
- Ban on well testing and combustion of hydrocarbon raw materials during the night;
- Compliance with a special mode of operation.