Occupational health and safety
In accordance with the Policy on occupational health, safety and environment, our main aim is to reduce injuries and accidents at work to ensure the safety of employees, eliminate health damage, reduce negative impact of our activities on the environment and improve the image and reputation of KMG. We continue to improve the safety culture, increase the commitment of top management to the matters of safety and health, expand the rights and capabilities of our employees (granting them the right to stop works that in their opinion are being performed in an unsafe manner), and analyze the root causes of accidents.
Over the past three years the management of KMG has been resolutely promoting and advocating the following principles:
- Priority of the value of life and human health over the results of production activities;
- Involvement and training of managers at all levels on HSE matters;
- Personal responsibility of employees for compliance with safety requirements;
- Creating a positive safety culture to prevent accidents and incidents;
- Effective communication between all stakeholders;
- Safe performance of works and correction of unsafe behavior.
We have achieved positive changes in our Corporate culture of occupational safety and health and have raised the level of transparency in reporting by more than 300%.The next step in promoting transparency will be the membership of KMG in IOGP, which would also allow the exchange of knowledge and information.
Incidents prevention and accidents investigation, based on the analysis of root causes, training and dissemination of information on lessons learned within the group of companies, had a beneficial effect on reducing the LTIR.
We continue to conduct benchmarking with similar companies in the oil and gas sector (International Organization of Oil and Gas Producers, IOGP), to identify areas for improvement in the matters of occupational health and safety and to reduce the level of accidents and industrial incidents
To increase the safety culture and reduce the injuries level in production, the following work has been done:
- All vehicles of the Group are equipped with safety seat belts;
- A Program "Behavioral Safety Surveillance" was developed;
- Corporate documents were developed:
- Road map for 2016-2020, containing strategic initiatives in the field of HSE;
- Rules of behavioral safety surveillance;
- Audits were conducted in subsidiary companies with the highest level of injuries;
- On-site presentations were held for the purpose of training: for employees - risk analysis at work, and for managers - new safety programs, the importance of their involvement in the safety processes;
- A large-scale survey on safety culture was conducted to monitor changes in the safety culture;
- A collection of topics on meetings for the matters of safety and labor protection was developed and cascaded in order to better conduct safety briefings by line workers;
- Annual Forum of General Directors in the field of safety and labor protection was held on the topic: "Improving the safety culture"
- The Academy of safety leadership for HSE was established;
- Annual contest of the Chairman of the Management Board of KMG "Best innovative ideas and practices in the field of occupational health, safety and environment protection of NC KazMunayGas JSC group of companies" was held
Our common goal in the field of HSE is to get into the top quartile in terms of labor protection indicators in comparison with IOGP member companies with a similar number of staff by 2020.